Why Hire Rice Painting


Many home improvement contractors are trying to earn your business today.   These contractors range from painters to plumbers to complete home builders and remodelers.  Often, They state they are "licensed and insured".  The term "insured" can mean a lot of different things to different contractors.

To understand what they mean by "insured", we highly recommend that you request a Certificate of Insurance from any contractor with whom you do business.  It must show at least two specific forms of insurance: General Liability and Workers Compensation.  You should want any contractor to be able to provide a current certificate showing both.

In addition, you should consider requiring Pollution Liability insurance.  Every contractor exposes you to pollution claims, but coverage is excluded under a General Liability policy.  Common examples include lead poisoning, fungi, and bacteria from "dirty" water (any water not in its proper place).

General Liability

  • The contractor you hire could make a mistake causing injury to someone or damage to your property while working. The result could be a significant loss for you, now or in the future.  Damage may be in an area other than the work they were doing.  Without this coverage, you may or may not have coverage under your homeowner's policy (it excludes pollution).
  • A company that carries General Liability insurance shows they are bot responsible and serious about their work. General Liability insurance is relatively inexpensive for most trade contractors, but Pollution Liability is less so. 
  • The contractor should agree in writing that he will hold you harmless from any claims arising out of his work performed for you.

Workers Compensation

  • Missouri law requires all contractors with even one employee to carry Workers Compensation insurance.  Some contractors skirt the law by using so-called "1099" individuals.  Some do not include coverage for themselves.  They may be satisfied with either situation, but you should not be.  Personally, I would not use anyone that breaks the law or leaves you exposed to loss.
  • You may also be sued by either a contractor's employee or the contractor himself for injuries incurred while working on your home. Neither is covered under the contractor's General Liability insurance for injuries. You don't want such claims under your homeowner's policy.  

This subject is still more complicated that indicated above.  A certificate of insurance showing these coverages may start to let you be more confident in your direction to hire a particular contractor.

Should you need any further help or assistance, I am happy to help.


Ron Gion, Jr. CIC, CRM
Charles L. Crane Agency Company
400 Chesterfield Center
Chesterfield, MO 63017
636-537-5009 (Fax)